March 31, 2010

Lady

If you haven't seen the amazing GRITtv interview with Kathleen Hanna yet: Do it!

I fucking love and respect her so much.

Bikini Kill revealed a world to me that my life is so much the better for knowing. Six or seven years ago, nineteen years old, I was confused and depressed and bewildered and pouring half of the attention I was supposed to be giving studying into listening to music and losing myself in thoughts (a familiar story, no doubt!). One day, flicking through discs at one of my favourite stores, I picked up an album by a band I'd heard a little about and been meaning to check out:




My mind was blown the first time I heard Pussywhipped. It was like this incredible, heart-soaring piece of aural evidence that empowering alternatives can and do exist. I was still a confused, depressed, bewildered nineteen year old, but one that had forever had a part of herself strengthened by the knowledge that it is possible for women and girls to live creative, unapologetic lives despite the shit society gives them.

That album, band, the incredible fuckedupfreeflawedfantastic movement they helped start, seemed so much more real and powerful and helpful than sitting in a class and tip-toeing through the Feminist Canon. It still does.

Every turn lately, something reminds me of Riot Grrrl. I've been thinking a lot about how truly grateful I am for that movement. It lit sparks, and is still lighting them, within so many people.

Every girl and boy needs a riot grrl education!



(Pic via First 3 Songs)

Pussywhipped is still one of my favourite albums ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment